A tradition since the 1920s, the Thomasville Rose Show and Festival will celebrate its 95th birthday, April 21–23, 2016. More than a rose competition and parade, there are festival activities galore, and many of them are FREE. Here are 16 of our favorite family-friendly events, but this is only the tip of the iceberg!! Can’t wait to see you there.
- The festival kicks off Thursday night with the Children’s Rose Bud Parade, which is full of the sweetest and littlest rose fans. These tiny tots and their floats glide through the middle of downtown for their very own one-of-a-kind parade.
- Visit the Power of the Past Airport Museum, home to a personal collection of the oldest and rarest aircraft engines and memorabilia.
- Stroll though a self-guided tour of six historic buildings that display Thomasville’s Victorian past and Rose Show traditions.
Taking center stage on Friday are the competitively grown petals of the Rose Show. The Heirloom rose category honors the elders, showing varieties that have been in existence since 1867.
- Join the THS Marching Band, the Rose Queen and Miss Georgia as they cut the ribbon and officially open the Rose Show on Friday at 1 p.m.
- Orchids on Parade (housed in the Municipal Auditorium building at 144 East Jackson Street) features dozens of carefully grown orchids of many different breeds.
- Enjoy the Annual Rose Parade, taking place at 7 p.m. on Friday. Thomasville will roll out the “rose carpet” for floats studded with live roses, marching bands, wandering entertainers and more! This year’s parade will feature the Army Maneuver Center of Excellence Marching Band, as well as gigantic helium balloons to delight adults and children alike.
- Following the parade, you are invited to take to the streets for unabashed boogying during the Street Dance, featuring live music by community favorites, the Swingin’ Medallions.
- On Saturday in Paradise Park, Art in the Park bursts to life with a fine arts and crafts show, a wide selection of food, children’s activities and more. New to Art in the Park this year will be a full-sized Ferris wheel (FREE to ride), a giant bubble station and life-sized outdoor games.
- Food trucks with offerings from Buffalo wings and funnel cakes to egg rolls and BBQ and everything in between will also be in attendance. Free face painting and stilt walkers will be onsite to entertain.
- Don’t miss Bark in the Park, a pet costume contest hosted by the Thomasville-Thomas County Humane Society.
- In Downtown Thomasville, the Annual Car and Truck Show on North Broad Street (near the Courthouse) will showcase dozens of classic and vintage cars of all shapes and sizes.
- The City trolley will be running FREE of charge to transport guests throughout the festival events, including the downtown area.
- Bring your little princesses to have a Royal Tea with the Thomasville Rose Queen and her Court on Saturday. Bring your camera!
- Tee off at the Rose City Golf Classic, a 36-hole, two-person, best ball tournament on Saturday and Sunday.
- The Rose Show and Festival will also feature the Rose City 10K Run and 1 Mile Fun Run.
Lesli Peterson is Georgia’s official Family Explorer and the owner of 365AtlantaFamily, which offers a daily dose of inspiration for metro-area families. Click here for more Family content from Lesli.